Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Me? Anxious?

So, after much jabbing and jawing about how I want to go back to school so that I can be a teacher, I'm actually doing it. I had one of those days where I questioned what I was doing and where I wanted my life to go and I was so down in the dumps. So I told myself to do something about wishing my life were in a different direction. Instead of lamenting the dead-endness of my job, why not do something to change it? So, I have enrolled at BCTCS and I'm taking Introduction to American Education.

I was anxious about going back, though. I mean... it's been EIGHT YEARS since I've been in school. A lot has changed since then. I've changed since then. My fears were well founded, it seemed. I went to enroll yesterday. UGH. Just UGH. I had to wait in line for twenty minutes to speak to an advisor so I could actually sign up for a class. It turned out that the class I wanted to take was FULL. Go figure, right? It was simply too perfect. One night a week from 6:30 to 7:45 and the rest online was just too good to be true. In addition, they still didn't have ANY of my classes from Transy in the system. And this class just happened to have a prerequisite of English 101. I have a bachelor's degree, so I'm pretty sure I got it covered. *sigh* So, I had to go talk to the Admissions people and get an unofficial copy of my transcript to get the hold for the prerequisite lifted. That took about 15 minutes. Then, the first person I took my transcript to decided that my FLA (Foundations of Liberal Arts... in Transy terms... English 101) was an art class. So... I took it to the registration help. (keep in mind the advisor was in one building, the admissions in another, then back to the other building for the registration help.) She was able to figure out that FLA was English 101 and allow me to get into the class. But remember, not the original class. That one was full. So I ended up having to enroll for the same class... but completely online... from the ASHLAND campus. *bangs head on the wall*

I just logged in to the blackboard site for the class. And honestly, I'm doing my best not to hyperventilate. Really. Class hasn't even started and there are assignments up. "Meet and greet your fellow classmates." And in addition to all this, I find out that the class requires 16 hours of observation!!! I work 40 hours a week, four 10 hour days so I can have Fridays off to spend with my son. So I have to take time off those Fridays to observe a teacher. Honestly, I probably should have expected it and at least I can have time to observe. But.... it's just so much and so soon. I'm completely overwhelmed. Completely.

Is it ok that I feel like running outside and screaming like a banshee?

1 comment:

  1. Scream away, my friend. I am currently buried in incorporating my little business, and regularly find myself sitting in the car (often just in the driveway), screaming over rap music to burn off some steam.

    I'm proud of you for going back. The work will be easy for you, but the hassle of dealing of with obnoxious people will be hard!

    ReplyDelete